The Cordillo Downs Wool Shed has become one of the most popular tourist attractions in the Red Centre. The old wool shed, with a heritage that dates back to the 1870’s, is the world’s largest shearing shed that once operated on a parcel of land 7,800 square kilometres. Built of solid stone (with a tin roof), the walls to this shed are almost 1 metre thick. There are still remnants of old world steam engines scattered around the shed which were brought in by Afghan camels. The trusty Afghan camels continued their services by transporting the wool produced at the station out to more populated areas for onward distribution.
In its heyday and under its third run of management, the Beltana Pastoral Company who started with over 10,00 sheep, 580 cattle, 25 horses and a camel, grew the operation to the impressive record for the most sheep sheared in a season at over 85,000.
In the mid 40’s the station moved from farming sheep to cattle after losing too many sheep to wild dogs. Beltana Pastoral Company maintained the ownership of the station right up until 1981 when it sold for $1.2m. The station still runs today, and the history is plentiful. But it’s time you stop reading about it, and visit it to find out more for yourself.